Apple has released a major update to Logic Pro X with a new Live Loops mode for professionals, more beat-making tools and a wide range of improvements.
Live Loops, first introduced in GarageBand, let you compose music by arranging cells with loops, your own recordings and samples. You can add ‘Remix FX’ to bring creative effects to your audio, and much more. Logic Remote, for iPhone and iPad, has been updated to support these features along with Multi-Touch gestures for playing loops at the same time.
The Sampler has an all-new design, with more sound-shaping controls and is also backwards compatible. Quick Sampler lets you import or record music and trim it, loop it and add effects to it.
New tools for making beats are also available: Step Sequencer, Drum Synth and Drum Machine Design are some examples of those.
Apple has also optimised Logic Pro X for the latest Mac hardware, including the new 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. You can purchase it for $199.99 or download the 10.5 update for free if you own the program. Read the release notes below.
• Compose music by arranging and triggering cells in a grid using loops, samples, and your recordings
• Perform and capture freeform arrangement ideas into the tracks area
• Add Remix FX to perform creative effects like filters, gates, repeaters, and bitcrusher
• Use Logic Remote on your iPad or iPhone to perform Live Loops and Remix FX using Multi-Touch gestures to trigger several loops or effects simultaneously
• Create and edit sophisticated multi-sampled instruments using a drag and drop workflow
• New modern design provides synthesis, mapping, and zone editing in a single window interface
• Integrated zone editor offers detailed control over start, end and loop points
• Mapping editor enables fast and flexible assignment of samples across the keyboard
• Flex Time has been integrated into Sampler allowing sounds to be played at the same length, regardless of pitch
• Auto Sampler automates the process of converting MIDI-enabled hardware and software instruments into Sampler instruments
• Supports all existing EXS24 instruments
• Import a single audio file to instantly build a playable sampled instrument
• Quick Sampler automatically identifies the root note, optimal loop points, and matches your project tempo
• Use Slice mode to chop a vocal or drum sample into multiple slices that can be triggered on a keyboard
• Record live samples using a microphone, external hardware, or from any track or bus
Drum Machine Designer
• Use Drum Machine Designer to build custom drum kits by dragging and organizing samples
• Directly access Quick Sampler or Drum Synth controls on any pad
• Easily assign any instrument or third-party plug-in to a pad
• Perform any sound chromatically to create bass lines or other melodic parts
• Build your own beats, melodies and effect automation using an interface inspired by classic drum machine workflows
• Create and edit patterns with discrete control over velocity, repeat, chance, offset, step rate, skip and tie for each row
• Use any patch as a sound source, including custom kits made with Quick Sampler and Drum Machine Designer
• Includes a library of over 150 rhythmic and melodic patterns
• Over 2,500 new loops in a variety of instruments and genres covering modern and classic hip-hop, electro house, reggaeton, future bass, techno, and transition effects
• 17 Live Loops starter grids covering a range of electronic and hip-hop genres
• More than 70 new Drum Machine Designer kits
• Over 1,500 new patches
• Original multi-track project of Billie Eilish “Ocean Eyes”
• The Drum Synth plug-in generates synthesized kicks, snares, toms, and hi-hats with dedicated sound shaping controls
• Individual or multiple audio files or software instrument regions can be dragged into an empty track header to provide instant options for creating Sampler, Quick Sampler, Drum Machine Designer, or Alchemy instruments
• Multiple additional enhancements and stability improvements